Sunday, February 27, 2011

Dewinterization Progress?





While I was working with the 203k Consultant and my GC to get the required documentation completed for my mortgage team.  I had originally had my inspection scheduled for Monday, MLK Day.  It was convenient for me since it was a work holiday.  Luckily, I'd gone ahead with the 203k Consultant appointment so we were able to get the paperwork in.

We got word Saturday afternoon before the inspection that the water and electric were not turned on yet.  The sellers agent had submitted the order but 'they' weren't able to get it done it time.  They hoped it would be by Wednesday at the latest.  I rescheduled my inspection and got word Tuesday that the water and electrical were not on.  That Friday was the deadline date for my inspection.

Ultimately, we spent two weeks back and forth with the sellers agent just being told that the utilities would be turned on and we heard excuses about the snow and other excuses.  Finally almost three weeks later, we learned that there was an issue with the water company.  The water had been shut off to the house in 2008 due to non-payment.  So the Boston Water and Sewer Commission was requiring a video was taken of the sewer pipe to the street.  They needed confirmation that there were no problems before they could authorize the water main begin turned on.

The sellers agent stated that we could pretty much skip the dewinterization and come back with a lower offer.  So... could be, there is nothing wrong with the pipes and I can get a few thousand knocked off the price.  Or there could be a major issue that I am responsible for.  I am not much of a gambler... so I wanted them to do the video and get the water turned on.

It was one full month from the day I learned about the water until I was finally able to schedule an inspection.  There was more talk about the snow and scheduling... and waiting for bids and getting the bids accepted.

I haven't seen the video report yet but hope to soon... we have been told the report was good.  And all outstanding payments and liens are taken care of. 

After all of our waiting for this, I still did not have water for my inspection.  The first reason we heard was that the water commision went out to install the meter but could not because their was snow on the ground.  Um... this was Boston in February after during something like the 10th snowiest winter on record.  Of course there is snow on the ground. 

Then we found that the dewinterization crew went into the house and realized the extent of the burst pipes in the basement and were not able to turn the water on inside of the house.  I had already anticipated replacing the basement pipes and heating system but would have preferred them to be able to get the water on.  I spoke to my plumber since he'd seen the house and he didn't seem overly concerned.  So finally have my inspection scheduled!!

No comments:

Post a Comment