Sunday, February 27, 2011

As-Is Appraisal and Biding Time





So we ended January in a holding pattern.  I was working with the mortgage brokers to make sure they had the information they needed from me.  We had a few quick weeks to get the mortgage commitment released but were still getting extensions on the Home Inspection. 

The mortgage processor let me know they were scheduling the appraiser.    My mortgage broker had laid out a few dates that we'd need to try to meet to ensure we could close by the end of the month.  The appraiser was one of them.  

This was one of those weeks that was a little strange.  My buyers agent and attorney were both out of town and had others filling in for them.  So there was some miscommunication and a lot of me resending documents and explaining things.   

I got an email Monday morning from the fill-in realtor letting me know that the appraiser had contacted her to schedule a time to get into the house but he just needed the Specifications of Repair so he understood the scope of the work we were planning.  Unfortunately the fill-in did not realize we were doing a 203k and that this appraiser was doing a 203k as-is appraisal.  She thought he needed the water and electric turned on.  I was able to get a hold of the appraiser and get him the information he needed.  I lost a day or two there but we were fortunate to get it done in time. 

I got my Mortgage Commitment Letter that week and needed the attorney to release it.  So I spoke to the woman filling in and ultimately we wound up with a few more questions.  But she helped me with some questions we had.  But over the weekend the fill-in realtor got an email from the appraiser that he could not get a hold of the Foreclosure Deed.  He needed the deed so that he could close his report. I emailed the fill-in attorney who deferred to my attorney as he was returming to the office.

I will never begrudge anyone from taking time off... but it was unfortunate for me that these both overlapped, especially during a week with such big question marks.  It would have been great to have someone in my corner for this part of the process... but what can you do.

I received the Appraisal Report and am still not sure what dollar amount I was 'hoping' for.  I hope it will all make sense to me soon enough! 

No comments:

Post a Comment