Saturday, February 26, 2011

203k Consulting and Dewinterization






So I had my Home Inspection and 203k Consultant meeting set up for MLK Day.  I asked my GC to also come by so he could get another look at the place and we can plan out the work.

I get a call from my agent letting me know that the sellers had requested the home to be dewinterized for our inspection but that the work would not be done Monday.  I frantically call the inspector and change the appointment.  I called my 203k consultant and asked to reschedule.  He said we may as well go ahead without water or electric.  (Glad I listened to him!)

What is winterization?  When a home is foreclosed, the bank or seller will send a company into the home to winterize it.  They turn off the water and electricity, drain the pipes, put antifreeze in the toilets and lock the home up.  This is to prevent pipes from freezing and I imagine to deter squatters.  Normally before an inspection, the same company that did the winterization, goes back in and reverses the process so the inspector can, um, inspect.

I met the 203k Consultant who is also a contractor.  We walked through the house and he inspected it and took pictures.  We discussed the work to be done.  Now, there are certain FHA requirements, like requiring double-paned windows and hand rails on stairs.  We had some discussion about 'wish list items' taking out a wall, adding a dormer and adding central air!  When we got down to brass tacks though... we realized my hopes of streamline was out the window.  The tile in the bathroom was in rough shape and the kitchen cabinets were going to have to be redone...so we are now gutting kitchen and bath.  We also put in for new doors (interior and exterior), new storm windows in the back porch, carpet for the basement.

As we were wrapping up my GC and his wife (my BFF) came by to go over the work we outlined.  The consultant was going to send me a write-up of our discussion and then pass that info on to the GC to get his estimate.

By the time we were done... I was exhausted and suddenly very poor! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment